The Stanisław Wyspiański Museum
11, Szczepańska Str.
open everyday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, closed on mondays
The Stanisław Wyspiański Museum is housed in one of the historical homes which stand on Szczepański Square. The building was gifted to the National Museum Krakow in 1904 by Włodimierz and Adam Szołayski. From 1934 until the outbreak of World War II, the Museum’s new department operated as the Feliks Jasieński Museum, presenting the first permanent exhibition of the collections donated by this distinguished collector. Once wartime operations had come to an end, collections of Far Eastern art went on show in the building. From 1951 to 1992, it was home to the Art of Poland’s Guilds exhibition. Following renovation work, the Museum’s collections relating to the life and works of Stanisław Wyspiański, which had previously been exhibited in an historical house on Kanonicza Street, were transferred to the Szołayski House.
This department of the Museum holds the largest collection of Stanisław Wyspiański’s work in Poland. It ranges from youthful works, dating from his time as a student at the School of Fine Arts in Krakow, to his final drawings. The exhibition presents every sphere of his extraordinarily rich and diverse artistic activities. There are sketches and, a rare occurrence in his oeuvre, oil paintings; there are also later works, including portraits in pastel of his closest family and friends and landscapes, amongst them, a rare cycle of views depicting Kościuszko’s Mound in Krakow.
Several rooms on the second floor of the Szołayski House contain a biographical exhibition devoted to the illustrious critic and art collector, Feliks ‘Manggha’ Jasieński, who donated his notable collections of paintings, graphics, sculptures, decorative art, militaria, old prints and folk art artefacts to the National Museum of Krakow. The exhibition is entitled Feliks ‘Manggha’ Jasieński; National Museum in Krakow Donator. Sketch for a Portrait.
© 2010 National Museum in Krakow
design & concept: